Search This Blog

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Reclaimed wood - Queen size headboard




This is my first project that I designed myself! I had a general idea of the plan from one on Ana's site, but when I was trying to purchase reclaimed wood, the 1x6 @ 4ft were a better bang for my buck. The variation in the wood is just gorgeous, I'm obsessed! This project cost me about $120.

10 - 1x6 @ 4ft - cut to whatever size you choose
1x3 & 1x2 for supports & trim

For the finish I painted 2 of the panels with white spray paint & then distressed with my sander so some of the wood grain would show through. I stained 2 other panels with "sunbleached" see below. For the rest of the panels I left them in their natural beauty! The supports & trim pieces were brand new (whitewood), so I stained them with the "dark walnut".

Since I am an Army Wife & we move a lot I wanted to make sure that this piece of furniture would hold up to the beating it is going to get. In the pic to the left you can see where I placed my poket holes & that I placed the back supports in the same place that I placed the front trim pieces. When working with recliamed wood, don't force the wood to connect. Leave some of the gaps alone, you don't want to ruin the project & cause the wood to split even more.



For the legs I used a 1x3 & then attached a 1x2 on top of that with wood glue & counter-sunk screws. Fill in holes with wood filler! Put your horizontal trim pieces on the front, last. Measure each piece, because this wood was reclaimed & some pieces were split so the top & bottom pieces didn't end up being the same length.






 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment